Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Year Down Yonder



One book I kind of liked was A Year down Yonder. A 16-year-old girl named Mary Alice, the sister of Joey in the previous book, and her mom and dad are having a hard time managing money. Joey, Mary Alice’s brother, moved away and found work in the west. So Mary Alice will have to leave Chicago and live with her grandma for a whole year, and she will have to attend a new school. The kids at the school make fun of her, and she only has a friend or two. Will Mary Alice survive a year with grandma?

One of the reasons I like this book is that it is funny. For example, when Mary Alice was performing in the school play, the adults made the most popular girl in school take off all her make up. Another reason why I like this book is when Joey, Mary Alice’s big brother, comes all the way from the west to see her perform in the play. I think that was nice, generous, and loving, and that is why I liked this part of the book.

The part of the book I didn’t like was that grandma sometimes is mean and cruel. Once she threw a bucket of glue on Augie’s head. I don’t like when Aguie’s had to peel his hair off because no kid deserves that type of punishment. Another reason why I don’t like this part of the book is now Augie has the worst hairdo of his entire life. I just think grandma is just mean and cruel. That is why I don’t like this part of the book. Other than that I would support this book. If you like old style books or books back in the old days, then this is the perfect book for you I give it four paws.



Posted by: Lizard Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment